Sunday, March 24, 2013

Berezovsky--who's that?

Well, I asked a friend, after launching into a triade and bitching about the "Godfather of the Kremlin", ultra-corrupt oligarch, Boris Berezovsky, "Does Berezovsky deserve a blog post?" She convinced me, yes, but so only that I don't miss the opportunity to bitch about him one last time.

I have hated the man ever since I started following Russian politics, which was back in 2000. My gut reaction on the day it happened was is that he was responsible for Paul Klebnikov's death, as well as Anna Politkovskaya's--not Putin, as popular press would have everyone believe. I also had the same feeling when ex-spook Alexandr Litvinenko proclaimed on his deathbed that Putin ordered his assassination. What better way than to destroy Putin politically by having his biggest critics killed--one on Putin's birthday, and with another murder in the most stereotypical KGB-style, leaving Litivenko for dead but still able to denounce Putin on his deathbed? If that were true, then even the oligarch's friends were not safe from him. If he could use someone to his own political/business gain, then he would. Lives be damned.

I'm only speculating, of course, but apparently I'm not the only one who think it was Berezovsky, not Putin's clan, behind Politkovskaya's murder. (Another article, in English.)

I guess what really pisses me off is that the international press has for large part referred to Berezovsky as simply a "Putin critic" or "dissident". He has been playing victim--but I believe he is only sorry that he has to leave the corridors of power he once arrogantly strode in during Yeltsin's rule. He is a corrupt, immoral, oligarch, who sees, amongst other things, murder as an ordinary tool of his business interests.

I could go on and on, but I don't think he deserves any more space on this blog. I'll leave that to Justice Gloster (who presided over the Berezovsky vs. Roman Abromavich case--Berezovsky lost, and of course blamed Putin), who in my opinion gave us the most eloquent but possibly one of the most scathing description of Berezovsky--but only because it is true:

"On my analysis of the entirety of the evidence, I found Mr. Berezovsky an unimpressive, and inherently unreliable, witness, who regarded truth as a transitory, flexible concept, which could be moulded to suit his current purposes."

I'll dance on his grave. I hope that in a couple of months, this horrible man will be forgotten, and we can all dismiss him, like Putin once did in a news conference back in 2001, "Berezovsky--who's that?"

No comments: